Thursday, October 16, 2008

More Thoughts About Blizzcon & VGL

After L80ETC left the stage, so did a huge number of people. I cannot comprehend why, for some of these reasons:
  • Listening to "Lament of the Highborne" performed live and sung by Vangie Gunn. It's her voice you hear ingame when the song plays, and hearing it live is much more powerful.
  • Watching "The Video Game Pianist" Martin Leung come out and play a suite of Warcraft II music FROM MEMORY. I can't remember the last time I've ever seen someone so absolutely thrilled to be doing what they love.
  • Listening to multiple Grammy award winning artists join the orchestra while playing music from Diablo.
  • Hearing the main theme from WotLK performed live for the first time. It sounds great on my PC, but again there's no substitute for live.
  • It's a full symphony orchestra and choir performing video game music!

What's not to like about that? Do people not want to get a little bit of culture? I understand that what you hear at Blizzcon is not the normal 2-1/2hr concert that VGL normally puts on, but it's worth staying to listen. I can accept that a number of convention attendees had little ones that needed to get to bed and so I tip my hat, but for the rest I wag my finger at you!

I implore whatever tiny reader base I have, go to the Video Games Live website, find out when they're playing in or close to your city and go see them. Or not even close! They're playing in Lisbon, Portugal pretty soon, hop a plane and go watch them there.

No comments: