Monday, June 30, 2008

Blizzard Authenticator: Not For Me, Yet.

As it stands right now I'm not buying the keyfob in the near future. Yes it's only $6.50, ($7 after tax), but there is currently a very limited scope of use for the device. I'm sure D3 and SC2 will have support for it, but I'd like to be able to use it elsewhere. VPN/SSH authentication for remote connections to a company or personal network, online banking/financial work, etc.

Of course, I will most likely get one in the long term. I am a bit of a security nut and I understand that this is a very nice level of physical security. Though initially I want to see how this will all play out. After doing a bit of reading on how this form of authentication works, and chatting with a friend versed in the subject, will Blizz be able to keep the authentication servers stable enough for the amount of users logging in? My friend was very doom & gloom about the subject and felt they won't be able to.

We'll see huh?

No comments: